Civic & Professional Activities
Coverage in The Daily Journal, November 16, 2012, of the 7th Annual Robert I. Weil Lecture, which raised yet a record-breaking amount for the Center for Civic Mediation's peer mediation programs. Many thanks to eminent Profs Anthony Rangel and Jonathan Katz for giving a stimulating discussion on "The Neuroeconomics of Decision-Making and its Implications for Mediation".
Member, Los Angeles Superior Court ADR Committee & Sub-Committee on Operations, 2008-2012
Member, Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2009-2012
Adjunct Professor, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, 2006-2016
Chair, 4th-9th Annual Robert I. Weil Lecture, 2009-14
International Academy of Mediators: Distinguished Fellow, 2004-present.
Southern California Mediation Association: President 2005-2006; Chair, Amicus Committee, member of Courts Committee.
Los Angeles Superior Court: Selected for Pilot Project, Early Neutral Evaluator (Real Estate, Business and Employment cases.)
United States District Court, Central District of California: Attorney Settlement Officer Panel, 2004-present; Early Neutral Evaluation Pilot Program Panel, from inception.
- California Court of Appeals (2nd District): Invited Mediation Panel.
- Alternative Resolution Center (ARC): Mediation & Arbitration Panel
- California Academy of Distinguished Neutrals: Mediation Roster.
Arbitration, Mediation & Conciliation Center (AMCC): provides dispute resolution in real estate construction under State Contracts Licensing Board. Headed by Karen Smith. Mediation Panel
Institute for Conflict Management: Panel Member for Dispute Review Board (DRB) and Issue Review Board (IRB); certified for both Review Boards. Advisory Board Member. Complex commercial, real estate, and construction disputes. (ICM disbanded 2009)
Los Angeles Superior Court: Commercial Mediation Panelist for Real Estate, Business/Consumer and Employment cases 2000 to present.
Los Angeles Superior Court, Probate Section: Panel Mediator, since 2004.
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Services: certified mediator/arbitrator, attorneys fees/malpractice claims.
Los Angeles County Bar Association: (1970-present) Currently member of Litigation, Employment and Real Estate sections.
American Bar Association: Committee Member: Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Committee; Commercial & Business Litigation Committee; Consumer & Personal Rights Litigation Committee.
- Sandra Day O'Connor leads the way in 2006
American Arbitration Association: National Panel (for Commercial & Employment cases)
ARC: Alternative Resolution Centers: panel member.
AMCC: Arbitration, Mediation & Conciliation Center: provides dispute resolution in real estate construction under State Contracts Licensing Board.
National and International
- Board Member, Institute for Social & Economic Policy in the Middle East, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, 1991-1995.
- Board Member, National Technical Institute for the Deaf, RIT, Rochester, N.Y., 1992-present.
- American Bar Association, Member of Commercial & Business Litigation Committee 2004; Member of Consumer & Personal Rights Litigation Committee 2004; Member of Employment, Real Estate, Business, and DRS sections 2002-present
Below, flanking Max: Dean Erwin Chemerinksy of UC Irvine School of Law and Dean Robert Rasmussen of USC Law School. Both Deans spoke at the 4th Annual Weil Lecture on November 17, 2009, which Max moderated. The event raised a record amount of money for youth peer mediation programs in our public schools. Thank you, Deans, and thank you to all who supported and attended the event. Max also ran the Committee for the Annual Weil Lecture in both 2010 and 2011, again raising record sums.
State of California
Member, Chair's Council for the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences, CalTech 2011-present; Member, Chair's Council for the Division of Biology, CalTech, 2008-10
Committee on Administration of Justice, State Bar. Chairman, 2006-07. Vice Chairman, 2005 - 2006. Drafted, as primary reporter, the Committee's proposed revisions to the Jury Instructions on Damages for Purchase and Sale of Real Property. March-May, 2003.
Working Group of Litigation ADR Committee, State Bar, providing input on draft set of ethical standards for mediators and arbitrators in litigation-connected mediation and arbitration programs for civil cases, 2001-present.
- California Attorney General’s Task Force on Women’s Rights: Chairman, Committee on Employment, 1974-75.
- California Attorney General's Task Force on Consumer Protection (Southern California): 1973-78
County and City of Los Angeles
- President, L.A. County Bar Litigation Inn of Court, 2008-09
- Committee on Access to Justice. L.A. County Bar Association, 2002-present.
- Hearing Examiner, Los Angeles county-wide hearings on evaluating patient care and improving conditions in nursing homes, 1975.
- City Attorney's Commission on Consumer Protection, 1973-74.
- "Los Angeles Nursing Homes – Recommendations for New Programs to Benefit Nursing Home Patients" (co-authored with Aileen Adams), published by City of Los Angeles, 1975.
- "Los Angeles Nursing Homes – Hearing Examiner’s Report", published by City of Los Angeles, 1975.
City of Beverly Hills
- Founder: Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce/Bevery Hills Bar Association monthly Lecture Series: "Business Needs 2 Know", on Real Estate, Employment and Insurance.
- President, 1983: Board of Education, Beverly Hills Unified School District; Board Member, 1979-83.
- President, 1987-88: Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce; President-Elect, 1986-87; Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer, 1985-86; Board Member 1980-88.
- Chairman 1988-89: Beverly Hills Visitors Bureau.
- President, 1977-79: Beverly Hills Education Foundation; Vice President – Finance, 1984-86; Trustee, 1976-86.
Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Los Angeles
- Committee, Family Foundation Center
- Chairman, 1990-2002: Real Estate Committee. Executive Committee, Board of Trustees, 1992-2002. Co-Founder, Family Foundation Resource Center, 2001-2002